A really enjoyable build. Not much timber required and lots of interesting shaping and joining. I used Scots Pine a.k.a European redwood with a shellac finish. The drawer pull was one I already had. I think two pulls would have been better for a smoother movement. Sadly we have no use for it and have yet to find it a suitable home!
I made it from ash and european walnut, having failed miserably with my first attempt in pine. That said, it was never less than a pleasure to be working on this project and I have learned an awful lot, particularly about the importance of accuracy in preparing the wood (and I only sliced my finger open once). The feeling of satisfaction is enormous and it is the most complex thing I have built to date.
Spoon rack from a discarded mahogany-ish table top. The wood was heavily "rowed" and a pig to plane. Resorted to an embarrassing amount of sanding, I don't own any moulding planes, so the cove was formed with a rebate, followed by sandpaper round a dowel, and the beads on the drawer front were made with a homemade scratch-stock. Fitted small brass "turn-buckles" to the underside of the drawer opening. In one orientation they act as limiters to the draw movement (both in and out) and in the other they pass through small apertures in the drawer back to allow it to be removed. David A
Photo before finish. I used Oak for bulk of the rack, and put one walnut panel in middle at the back just to break it up a bit. I made it as a Christmas present for my mum. The first time I saw the introduction video for the spoon rack I knew I had to make one.
Just finished the spoon rack. I had so much fun doing it and learned such a lot without realising it. A few mistakes along the way, but it's the best way to learn. Thanks Richard and Helen for such entertaining and informative videos. John Seddon Kintyre Scotland.
Hi Richard and Helen, Here are a few images of the spoon rack I completed a couple of weeks ago. I'm fairly happy with results, I still struggle to get dovetails tight - and have done for a while - still not sure quite what I'm doing 'wrong' but they're OK. Also not having a round for the front moulding, I just rounded it off like the piece above it. I think it is an excellent idea as test piece, lots of different techniques and tools used, but small enough to make relatively quickly, and complete to a 'good enough' standard by even a relative beginner. As someone who has made a couple of canoes, I thought it was particularly interesting the you included some freehand shaping as well as the discipline of truing and squaring. Fran Bemrose
Richard, a couple of pictures of the one I made. I used ash for the body and the drawer is oak. Both are just finished with a clear wax which has worked really well on the ash. I really enjoyed following the videos. My daughter has already claimed the finished product and as I have twin daughters I need to get on with the next one! Best regards Robert