Really enjoyed watching the retro sideboard series and it gave me the inspiration and techniques to adapt it into a retro meets craftsman style TV stand and display case. Thanks Richard and Helen for that.
This is my first bit of 'grown-up' furniture. It is made of European oak and it has a book-matched top, through wedged tenons (wedged with ebony), some ebony drawer pulls and a carved detail on the stretcher. I have incorporated curved tapered legs to lighten the stance of the table and chamfered the top for the same reason. The legs are draw-bored using ebony dowels, but these have been stopped rather than running through the legs. It seems to me that once the dowels have passed through the tenon there is no added strength to the joint (as the dowel is tapered) and it looks messy on the rear of the legs. I more or less followed Richard's processes, but I have to say that the method of cutting the dovetails in the back of the drawer front is definitely one I will never ever follow. This may be 'old school', but is wood butchery as far as I'm concerned and it looks rough.
Thanks you for the Hall Table inspiration. The dimensions changed to fit the use. A friend's hand cranked organ. Spalted maple base with Hard maple top. I have enjoyed each of your videos.
Pine base, cherry top, finished with Waterlox (tung oil varnish). Thanks Helen and Richard! Mike Harscher Kenosha, WI
It was quite a journey for me. This project is timeless. My version is pine with an ash top. Milk paint prepared according to 19th century recipe. I decided to build a drawer a bit differently but now it seems to me that I did some reconsideration ;-) During the construction I made a few "specialized" tools :-) All of Richard's tips are priceless. Thank you very much!
My side table build. I did more hand sawing than I intended. Broke my bandsaw blade on the 2nd leg & too lazy to go to the store. I confess that I gave my plunge router long meaningful glances while chopping the mortises but remained faithful. The biggest surprise was the how well the 'out of square' legs worked. I thought the frame would turn out wonky or out of square itself, but I had to measure twice at glue up b/c it was dead on. As always, your videos are terrific. I learned a lot and look forward to more.